Browsed by
Tag: monitoring

Veeam One Reporter Server installation failed

Veeam One Reporter Server installation failed

During the recent deployment of Veeam One as part of Veeam Availability Suite I met a mysterious problem during the installation.
The problems seemed to be related to Veeam Reporter Server.
Environment characteristic:
– Veeam 9.5 with Update One
– Virtual Machine in Windows AD domain
– Domain user with log on as service and local Administrator privileges
– External clustered MS-SQL Server 2012
– Database created by the installator or using the script provided by Veeam – both ways checked with the same result

After starting the installation (running as Administrator just to make sure) it was goint to Reporter Server installation and during that something was going wrong and the whole
installation was rolling back.

In the logs of Reporter Server I found such information:

MSI (s) (28:64) [14:13:16:973]: Product: Veeam ONE Reporter Server — Installation operation failed.
MSI (s) (28:64) [14:13:16:973]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Veeam ONE Reporter Server. Product Version: 9.5.0.3201. Product Language: 1033.
Manufacturer: Veeam Software. Installation success or error status: 1603.

Going deeper I realised that the installator was able to connect to DB, but after that, when it checked that the DB exist or not and tried to reconnect the connection failed.

MSI (s) (28!40) [14:13:14:801]: Doing action: VmaVeeamOneSQLSettings_Check
Action start 14:13:14: VmaVeeamOneSQLSettings_Check.
MSI (s) (28:5C) [14:13:14:816]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSID04F.tmp, Entrypoint: _VmaVeeamOneSQLSettings_Check@4
***Veeam*** Windows authentication selected, impersonating will be performed.
***Veeam*** Impersonating. User: ‘ENERGA\veeamone’…
***Veeam*** Impersonation completed successfully.
***Veeam*** Connecting to SQL server. Instance: 192.168.1.187, User:
***Veeam*** SQL Server connection established.
***Veeam*** Sql Server version: 11.0.6544.0.
***Veeam*** Database ‘VeeamOneDB’ exists.
MSI (s) (28!60) [14:13:15:441]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding VM_ONE_DB_EXISTS property. Its value is ‘1’.
***Veeam*** Reconnecting to SQL server…
***Veeam*** Checking HADR…
***Veeam*** GET HADR configuration…
***Veeam*** HADR is enabled.
***Veeam*** Get replica role…
***Veeam*** An error occurred while connecting to SQL. Error code: 0x80040E14.
***Veeam*** Description: ‘ADODB::Connection->Execute failed. ErrorMessage: IDispatch error #3092.
Description: The user does not have permission to perform this action.
State: 42000, Native: 297, Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
Failed to connect to SQL Server ‘192.168.1.187’.
MSI (s) (28!60) [14:13:15:722]: Product: Veeam ONE Reporter Server — Failed to connect to SQL Server ‘10.1.10.132’.
MSI (s) (28!60) [14:13:15:722]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding VMONE_SQL_CHECKING_RESULT property. Its value is ‘0’.
Action ended 14:13:15: VmaVeeamOneSQLSettings_Check. Return value 1.
CustomAction VmaRP_SQLSettings_Check returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
Action ended 14:13:15: VmaRP_SQLSettings_Check. Return value 3.
CustomAction VmACheckCustomDialogsParams returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
Action ended 14:13:15: VmACheckCustomDialogsParams. Return value 3.

I wasn’t able to find anything on the Web which would be similar to my issue.
Then I tried to use a different database instanace – let’s say it was test one, with small difference – it was a standalone SQL Server beside the cluster.
And this time it worked correctly. This was really strange for my expecially in case I used the same VM, domain user, etc.

After that, guided by a Veeam Support I tried one more time installing each component separately. I mean installing first Veeam One server with WebUI option deselected.
Then using the CLI with fallowing commands I was able to successfully install Reporter and Business View.
cd /d D:\VeeamONEReporterWeb_x64.msi
cd /d D:\BV_x64.msi

During the installation of these additional components there is a wizard where is poissible to change internal database to external one.