vSAN 6.6 it’s 6th generation of the product and there are more than 20+ new features and enhancements in this release, such as:
- Native encryption for data-at-rest
- Compliance certifications
- Resilient management independent of vCenter
- Degraded Disk Handling v2.0 (DDHv2)
- Smart repairs and enhanced rebalancing
- Intelligent rebuilds using partial repairs
- Certified file service & data protection solutions
- Stretched clusters with local failure protection
- Site affinity for stretched clusters
- 1-click witness change for Stretched Cluster
- vSAN Management Pack for vRealize
- Enhanced vSAN SDK and PowerCLI
- Simple networking with Unicast
- vSAN Cloud Analytics with real-time support notification and recommendations
- vSAN Config Assist with 1-click hardware lifecycle management
- Extended vSAN Health Services
- vSAN Easy Install with 1-click fixes
- Up to 50% greater IOPS for all-flash with optimized checksum and dedupe
- Support for new next-gen workloads
- vSAN for Photon in Photon Platform 1.1
- Day 0 support for latest flash technologies
- Expanded caching tier choice
- Docker Volume Driver 1.1
… ok now lets review main enhancements:
vSAN 6.6 introduces the industry’s first native HCI security solution. vSAN will now offer data-at-rest encryption that is completely hardware-agnostic. No more concern about someone walking off with a drive or breaking in to a less-secure, edge IT location and stealing hardware. Encryption is applied at the cluster level, and any data written to a vSAN storage device, both at the cache layer and persistent layer can now be fully encrypted. And vSAN 6.6 supports 2-factor authentication, including SecurID and CAC.
Certified file services and data protection solutions are available from 3rd party partners in the VMware Ready for vSAN Program to enable customers to extend and complement their vSAN environment with proven, industry-leading solutions. These solutions provide customers with detailed guidance on how to complement vSAN. (EMC NetWorker is avaialble today with new solutions coming on soon)
vSAN stretched cluster was released in Q3’15 to provide an Active-Active solution. vSAN 6.6 adds a major new capability that will deliver a highly-available stretched cluster that addresses the highest resiliency requirements of data centers. vSAN 6.6 adds support for local failure protection that can provide resiliency against both site failures and local component failures.
PowerCLI Updates: Full featured vSAN PowerCLI cmdlets enable full automation that includes all the latest features. SDK/API updates also enable enterprise-class automation that brings cloud management flexibility to storage by supporting REST APIs.
VMware vRealize Operations Management Pack for vSAN released recently, provides customers with native integration for simplified management and monitoring. The vSAN management pack is specifically designed to accelerate time to production with vSAN, optimize application performance for workloads running on vSAN and provide unified management for the Software Defined Datacenter (SDDC). It provides additional options for monitoring, managing and troubleshooting vSAN along with the end-to-end infrastructure solutions.
Finally, vSAN 6.6 is well suited for next-generation applications. Performance improvements, especially when combined with new flash technologies for write-intensive applications, enable vSAN to address more emerging applications like Big Data. The vSAN team has also tested and released numerous reference architectures for these types of solutions, including Big Data, Splunk and InterSystems Cache.
- Splunk Reference Architecture: http://www.emc.com/collateral/service-overviews/h15699-splunk-vxrail-sg.pdf
- Citrix XenDestkop/XenApp Blog: https://blogs.vmware.com/virtualblocks/2017/02/27/citrix-xenapp-xendesktop-7-12-vmware-vsan-6-5-flash/
- vSAN, VxRail and Pivotal Cloud Foundry RA: https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/products/vsan/vmware-pcf-vxrail-reference-architeture.pdf
- vSAN and InterSystems Blog: https://community.intersystems.com/post/intersystems-data-platforms-and-performance-%E2%80%93-part-8-hyper-converged-infrastructure-capacity
- Intel, vSAN and Big Data Hadoop: https://builders.intel.com/docs/storagebuilders/Hyper-Converged_big_data_using_Hadoop_with_All-Flash_VMware_vSAN.pdf