Finally, I’m pround to announce that VCIX6-DCV goal is achived!
Previously I passed the Deploy Exam (you can read about it in this post) which for me personally was far more intuitive and effortless. If you are a practitioner person than visioner and designer it would be quite tought to get used to these kind of questions and reasoning. In my opinion there are a few points which I can not agree with and I would be glad to discuss with the authors of these questions about their points of view 🙂
However, as I read on one of the blogs this is a VMware exam and they could have their own point of view and opinion about best practicies in designing virtual environments.
As you realized I used plural in word experience – it’s not so hard to guess why. Yes, I had to take the exam twice. Nevertheless, I finished the first try quite satisfied and full of hope the reality was brutal. 243 points appeared not to be enought to pass it…That was a food for thoughts.
That made me aware that I need to prepare better and figure out about the key used in design quiestions. It’s not exacly the key but the way of designs constructions. As usually Internet was priceless. First of all I found tips that the exam is similar to VCAP5 version and fallowing this idea I read the VCAP5-DCD Official Cert Guide. This was quite useful. Then I tried to think about the design questions I met and gind out what could be wrong there.
After a few more white papers, blog articles and other readings I took the second try and happily this the reult was much more better and of course I finally managed to pass and gain complete VCIX title.
The few tips from me:
- Be fresh and rested at the exam day ( there are 205 minutes, it’s quite a long to sit in front of the screen).
- Stay focused and read carefully all the questions and instructions at least twice.
- Start from the design questions which would take you a little bit more time.
- Be prepared.
Materials I found usefull during preparation time:
- VCAP6-Design Blueprint and all associated documents especially those from objective 1.2 and 1.3 should be read more than once
- VCAP5-DCD Official Cert Guide
- Study Guides of other people
- Google+ VCAP-DCD Study Group
I also recommend to get yourself familiar with scoring methodology described at The Cloud JAR’s Blog